Storage size of free pods

I’m currently trying to write a file manager for solid pods and while testing encountered a 413 - Payload too large response with the message “User has exceeded their storage quota”. This surprised me a little as I’ve only stored something between 20MB and 50MB (is there some way to look that up?).

So I am wondering if anybody here knows about the storage limitations of the Solid Pods suggested by inrupt, namely inrupt.net and solid.community. This would also be of interest for other applications I consider using solid with.

1 Like

Perhaps you could read the terms of your Pod provider to understand the storage limits?

1 Like

As far as I can see, and as far as I can tell from running a Solid POD server of my own, the storage size when running a single POD on such a server would be limited only by the size of the hard drive, and the limits to the size of any uploaded file would be subject to the limits and configuration of my installed software.

However, if you are running a Solid POD server on someone else’s drive (e.g. a hosting company) then the size of the POD, and the size of any individual uploaded file, would be subject to whatever arbitory limits they impose.

1 Like

Inrupts Terms of Service:

Inrupt provides free Solid POD storage limited to 25 megabytes.

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick responses, they answered my questions :grin:

In my use case (a music app) 25 MB will definitely limit the capabilities of it, but knowing the limit makes it much more comfortable.

1 Like

Hi,
I wonder if you found any pod providers that allow more than 25mb. I’m looking to create a pod for a clone of the Linked Open Vocabulary database. Its 184mb and will probably grow.

Hi @anon36056958
@ewingson https://solidweb.org/ is 100Mb but if you ask him nicely I think it could be 200 :wink: or @walter.almeida is mounting another platform

1 Like

@anon36056958 glad if I can help…
the site is experimental, so not for production use, but I set the quota back up to 250MB, the machine has (virtual) SSD of 100GB, so that would be 400 users if everyone uses max (which will not be the case), so for a hobbyist’ s site that could suffice and fit the expectations that realistically can be made.

again: glad if I can help :wink: enjoy !!!

1 Like

I am not sure if it is possible to increase the limit per account, but if so, feel free to raise an issue in the solid.community support repo and I am sure someone can do something about it.

1 Like

@aveltens I’ ve manipulated the solid:storageQuota variable in config/templates/new-account/settings/serverSide.ttl
should have worked, only thing I don’ t know if that is processed for every account or just for the ones created from then on…

If I see this correctly, there is a /settings/serverSide.ttl.inactive on each pod, containing a per-user quota. You can try rename it to /settings/serverSide.ttl and set a different quota for a user. The user only has read-only permission to the file, so cannot change her own quota.

I am in the process of creating a new POD server with high quota (probably 1Gb), for the plan of creating an new social network on top of Solid (see here : New decentralized social network, specialized in sharing public and Creative Common content). I am doing this with ecobytes.net, check here : Deploying solid in kubernetes, anyone has experience and can help us?

You could host the LOV clone there, when it is ready.

That brings me to a question that I will raise in another post : how can I control who can register to my pod server ? I want to use it exclusively for people who want to join / test the new social network or for other projects (like the Lov clone) I would want to support. …

1 Like

Sounds great about the high quota!

For controlling access to pods I think you could use group ACL’s. Solid Groups are not defined yet or part of the spec yet but I think they will implement a protocol for membership based on ActivityPub and the Activity Streams vocab. I hope to use Solid Groups to control access to the LOV clone. See Solid Groups App

It is not about controlling access to the POD. It is about the page where you can register on the pod server : to not just allow everyone to create and host their POD on our server, but require a validation

Oh sorry, misunderstood.

no problem :wink: