Sol - a command line and interactive shell tool for Solid

I have created solid-shell-client, a console-based version of solid-auth-client supporting login, persistent sessions, and fetch for the console with the same API as solid-auth-client but based on solid-cli.

I have also created sol, a command-line and interactive shell illustrating some of the capabilities of the console client. [Edit : new link to the solid-shell release which is sol but separated from its original home inside solid-file-client]

From the command line, you can do things like this:

sol upload /public/mysite file1 file2 folderX/*

To use it in the interactive shell

sol shell

If sol is found to be useful, I’m thinking it should be more of a group project than solely belonging to me. Lots of things to be done - internationalization, asci-tables, plugin API for including other apps, etc. etc.

I would also very much value suggestions on names and locations. It’s all bundled with solid-file-client for now, but sol and solid-shell-client probably deserve distros of their own.

10 Likes

Nice tool, which is indeed useful.

One can easily run it with npx as well, to try it out without installing, e.g.:

npx solid-file-client read /profile/card

Just one thing: I am not really comfortable with storing my password in a json file. Another option would be nice.

You could for example have a sol login command which queries the credentials from the user and then just stores the token to a file, but not the password.

1 Like

Good ideas, thanks! I am in the process of moving sol to its own repo and disentangling it from solid-file-client. And thanks for reminding me about the npx thing. I specifically put sol in as both bin and script in the package.json so it could work with npx but then forgot to document that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve implemented your suggestion - if no password is specified, sol will prompt you for one and hide your typing with asterisks to block people from reading over your shoulder.

1 Like

@aveltens yes, thanks, the npx trick is now documented in the README. And the command is

npx sol read /profile/card 

Hello,

I just wanted to try out the shell tool and I installed it globally. I did

npm install -g sol

and I got as response,

+ sol@0.3.0
updated 1 package in 0.368s.

But when I call sol, or npx sol it is not found. I’m using node 11.6.0 over nvm. I already installed separately the solid-auth.client and also solid-file-client.

Finally I tried installing locally with similar results, the sol shell script is somehow missing. Do you have any hints?

Sorry for the confusion soll is the name of the command but to install it’s npm install solid - shell

Thanks, now I have it. Maybe the doc should be updated.