Solid on SAFE Network - an update

An update on my work helping put Solid on SAFE Network, over on the SAFE forum:

Happy to discuss here or there, all questions welcome.

Updates:

5th September:
NEW dWeb Post: How to use Solid Filemanager on SAFE Network, by community member JayBird:

4th August 2019: The first Solid apps are becoming available on SAFE Network - a secure decentralised internet…

Solid Filemanager by @A_A is available of the SAFE Network alpha2 test network. Some limitations and bugs, but it can be used to browse directories and files. It is the first proper file manager on SAFE! More apps coming soon :slight_smile:

More here:

8 Likes

Latest Solid on SAFE news…

Three Solid libraries now support SAFE and have been tested with Solid Plume, Solid Filemanager and Solid IDE.

Getting a Solid app working on the secure, decentralised SAFE Network can be as simple as swapping in the SAFE compatible library (and crossing your fingers :wink:).

More in this post on the SAFE forum:

5 Likes

Regarding the SAFE solid-file-client version: As you likely have heard it is going to be updated to v1.0.0 in September. One of the changes is, that the auth library is now not included directly, but provided by the user. So you won’t need a SAFE version of this library in the future :slight_smile:

Something like that:

const SolidFileClient = require('solid-file-client')
const myAuth = require('solid-auth-client-SAFE')
const fileClient = new SolidFileClient(myAuth)
// Now it uses the fetch and login methods of solid-auth-client-safe
2 Likes

Good to know thanks.

@A_A thought you might like to know that Solid Filemanager is available of the SAFE Network alpha2 test network. Some limitations and bugs, but it can be used to browse directories and files. It is the first proper file manager on SAFE!

More here:

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

If you think the bugs are caused by solid-filemanager, or could be solved by refactoring it in a more safe-compatible way, feel free to open an issue on github. I won’t have time to work on it in the near future, but I guess in September I could do some work on it.

Edit: And I’ll incorporate solid-file-client as soon as it’s updated, so this part will change in September. If you have something relying on the current solid-auth-client usage, you’ll likely need to adapt it a bit afterwards.

2 Likes

The issues are SAFE specific atm so hopefully they’ll all resolve in time but I’ll certainly file anything I think would be helpful in general.

Update: @A_A we have some issues opened on my fork which look like they may be general rather than specific to SAFE, so when you come back to this I suggest you grab any that you’d like to take up. John is really helpful contributor on our forum BTW. I’ll also open an issue on your repo as a reminder. See issues

1 Like

NEW dWeb Post: How to use Solid Filemanager on SAFE Network, by community member JayBird:

1 Like