Starting a research project about searching and querying data in a SOLID ecosystem

Hi,

I’m Maxime Lecoq from France (my presentation here), I’m new to this forum, I’m pleased to be here.

We are starting a research project at INRIA France (Wimmics Team with Fabien Gandon & Pierre-Antoine Champin) about searching and querying data in a SOLID ecosystem. This project associates Startin’Blox (@balessan), a French company that has developed a SOLID compliant server built on top of a Django architecture. It also involves the Mycelium project wich I lead: a SOLID based free software suite of tools for farmers, based on the Data Food Consortium ontology.

With SOLID, data can be distributed over multiple PODs accross multiple servers. In such a scenario, finding a piece of information becomes complex and might lead to excessive response time or resource consumption. Our work will be to study how we can reduce limiting factors to improve the performances.

We would like to know which entry points, resources, or ongoing works could be a good starting point to work on this question from your point of view?

Thank you all

2 Likes

With SOLID, data can be distributed over multiple PODs accross multiple servers. In such a scenario, finding a piece of information becomes complex and might lead to excessive response time or resource consumption. Our work will be to study how we can reduce limiting factors to improve the performances.

This sounds quite similar to the work that @rubensworks is doing on top of the Comunica Query Engine in SolidLab. In particular the experimental link traversal components he has GitHub - comunica/comunica-feature-link-traversal: 📬 Comunica packages for link traversal-based query execution have configurations that uses techniques ranging from typical follow-your-nose style traversal to optimisations using Solid Type Indexes or ShapeTrees.

1 Like

This blog post might also be helpful: Querying a Decentralized Web

3 Likes

I think indeed we need queryable pod, graph based approach, ditch the concept of containers and extend the Solid api to send queries, which are checked by the Solid server for authorizations in a way that authorizations are linked to every node in the graph.

Thanks Ruben for this link, it already was on our list of resources and I think it will be investigated in a few weeks as @lecoqlibre already have to deal with the others in a reverse chronological order and yours is pretty recent.

If I find the time, I’ll read it too.

BTW, we need to talk.

Let’s plan that so that we can synchronise our work plan and have some fresh news or what you achieved or are going to achieve with Comunica.

First, a call could help so @lecoqlibre can introduce his current work ?