Promote this forum to newcomers more intensively

Some constructive feedback:

First per @TheodoraPetkova suggestion of a “Non-geek corner”, I really like this idea a lot, although, may I suggest the title of “Neo-Geek Atrium” instead.

As a neo-geek newbie roaming around for the first time and finding this post, honestly, the term “Non-geek Corner” left me hesitant. It is so definitive and final, inviting no further learning or exploring AND creates a distinct division of those in the know and those without the knowledge. The term doesn’t feel very inviting and makes me feel (dramatization) like I’m being punished in the corner for my ignorance. Whereas “Neo-geek Atrium” evokes a light-filled entry point into a fascinating environment and includes the lighthearted humor acknowledging the neophyte’s status, but still welcomes exploration and discovery and inclusion in a community where learning is paramount. Just a thought …

@justin I really appreciate the simplicity necessity of your suggestion and the very helpful link to the Getting Started page on the developer portal. This page really helped to orient me in the process.

@MitziLaszlo the “Solid: The Basics” is an excellent solution. However, as a newbie and an admitted “non-geek” this is still a very overwhelming process to enter into. I found a significant connection gap between this forum and getting started with a SOLID POD; while I am working myself out of my confusion, initially, I was very boggled.

Is it possible to have a closed category pinned up top somehow (so that it doesn’t shift up or down in the list of threads) that is not a actual discussion, just a simple ‘How To’ without any comments being added, listing helpful links, as well as protocols and procedures?

I really enjoyed my tutorial with discobot and I think he could be a good resource to lead new users to this ‘How To’ page by ending his tutorial there.

This ‘How To’ page would explain the process in creating a SOLID POD profile in a dashboard type interface as suggested by @eduardoinnorway here Conceptual Design - Solid better user experience

While the metaphor of constructing the road as you travel it or building the ship as its sails are unfurling is complete understandable, this is a time of development not without risks. I’m sure that the Solid team realizes the publicity now coming out, announcing Solid as a reality, will be bringing a wave of interested people (fed up with the current state of the Internet) coming to check out the Solid POD concept. And that the risk of losing out a flood of first adaptors if the landing entry experience is not smooth and elegant is a very real scenario.

All that said, this is an exciting concept and a wonderful experiment that I intrigued play within and lend a contribution or two if I can. Well done ya’all!

2 Likes