Pixolid - Solid photo manager

This also causes problem, loading your pictures when I open the app:

Status Code: 403 Access to https://kidehen3.solid.openlinksw.com:8444/pixolid/ denied for https://angelo.veltens.org/profile/card#me

If you started it locally, the Origin should be something like http://localhost:3000. Could you try to like/comment my picture from the new location pixolid.netlify.com, this should work, because I added it as trustedApp. If it fails please let me know.

That is awesome @kidehen :slight_smile: Thank you very much for your thoughts!

Oh, right, that would be better to get the storage location from the profile as the root location.

Yeah, the sub-folders are allowed, but the UI does not suggest so. I guess a tooltip would be a good idea to add for the choosing of the app folder dialog.

It is true that the images’ location is not mentioned, I guess it could be somehow shown in the notification after the image upload, or in the profile page as for all images.

It seems that the application is still looking for the application folder in the previous location. Specifying the new location should update the info about the new location in the WebID card.

I tried commenting on your pictures now and it seems to be working now! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It works! Awesome! Great work, @carloss

1 Like

It works better now. I’ll play with it some more.
Great stuff!

1 Like

The origin authorization is really annoying at the current state. I added likes and comments to your picture, but it failed to add the link to your pod, because you do not trust https://pixolid.netlify.com apparently.

Nice, thank you @kidehen!

My knowledge about this is somewhat limited, but as I understand it, I can see that you have multiple acl:trustedApp statements in your profile document. Is it because of the existence of such statements for several other apps, that makes any unlisted apps not allowed, unless added as trusted as well? While I was testing the multi user activities, I only had basic accounts that had no trustedApps specified, meaning it allowed possibly any app?

I am wondering if it should then be handled by pixolid to set itself trusted to the user’s profile, as part of the initiation process.

No, every single app has to be authorized explicitly either by acl:trustedApp or by adding a specific rule to the .acl of a resource. I think that the Origin authorization for https://solid.community has been disabled meanwhile, because it is to complicated for now.

That would not work, since pixolid has no permission to do so :wink: What we need is convinient a way to to it within the pod directly. Work is going on in that regard.

Oh, I see, thanks for clearing that up to me @aveltens. I guess one way of doing that could be that while logging in for the first time through a new app, the POD would also ask whether or not to trust its origin.

2 Likes

this is nice - I wonder if there is a way that it can utilize the type of metadata we can create with ImageSnippets somehow with Pixolid?

Thank you @zeroexp!
I am not quite sure as of how precisely, but I guess that metadata could be somehow uploaded along with the image itself. Then it could be shown in the image detail as a part of its description. But I am not so familiar with ImageSnippets as of how it could be integrated exactly.

do you think we might arrange a skype (or other screen sharing meeting) at some point and discuss this and maybe we could brainstorm a bit about it?

I would like to, but I can’t promise anything concrete as I currently am ahead of a hectic period with my duties at uni.

HI! I completely understand. What if we tried to schedule about 1 hour at some point so I can demo what I am doing with ImageSnippets and how it could currently interact with Solid and then we could take some time to brainstorm about it?

2 Likes

Thank you for understanding, I reached out to you via DM.

1 Like

Hi,
just tested your app and it is really nice! Keep up the good work, we need more apps like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

@carloss Great first app! and a great learning resource to help others like me trying to learn more about Solid.

I have a couple of questions, when I think of Solid apps, one of the things I think of is the cross sharing of useful data between apps, I note in your code you added some paths to the data.

I just wondered how other apps would auto-discover the data without having the additional pre-knowledge of the specific file structure of Pixolid?

The other thing was, I saw this entry in my profile, I looked at solid:timeline here what is this entry for?

@prefix pix: </pixolid/>.
solid:timeline pix:;
2 Likes

Thank you @ztein for the kind words, glad you like it. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much @jucole! I am still learning myself, I am glad if the app helps you to learn a bit as well. :slight_smile:

I think that you could have searched for specific types of data (for example comments) which contain properties defined by vocabularies/ontologies. The entry point here is the solid:timeline, which states where individual time organized entries are stored (images, comments, likes). Then there can be other containers which can be searched through. I am not so sure about this area though, so I may be wrong here.

Hi @james.martin

I was just going through the thread and i came across that you were testing the registration feature, can you please tell me how are you achieving it.
I have tried sending http request to /api/accounts/new endpoint and various others which did not work as i was getting unauthorized error. I also went through some examples from various chat application posted on solid-app github page and all those were directing the user to the solid server registration page where the user had to register.

So what i am looking for is to have a registration page in the application itself where a user can register through the application instead of being redirected to solid server registration page.

Thank you.

PSA

2 Likes

Oh, when I said testing registration, I meant the SDK component we built containing registration, aka the registration workflow. I’m not sure it really makes sense to make a custom registration front end for other people’s providers - I think of it like when I log in with google, my app doesn’t also make a registration page for google account.

The control in the React SDK provides an interface of sorts for the registration workflow, but the UI is contained inside the provider itself.

1 Like