Today we had some discussion with Ivy @leinue and other active contributors / participants in SoLiD CN community (the WeChat group, where most of the discussion in Chinese community happens today) about what we may do to help grow the Chinese community, and encourage more contributors to help build the SoLiD technology, ecosystem and applications.
Personally, I feel there are some problems that could be improved or fixed.
- now we a group of around 400+ people but basically not many people have really practical and hands-on experience of building applications with SoLiD, or even didn’t know the basic concepts of SoLiD. Most of them join the group after reading the posts from media, and haven’t got chance to learn and build with SoLiD yet.
- the SoLiD Chinese community’s overall contribution to the SoLiD project is still not tangible and very limited at the moment. We’d like to see more contribution from Chinese developers into the core infrastructure and tooling, and help grow the ecosystem and application worldwide.
As some quick initiatives, I’d like to propose that we start with working on the below actions to drive the growth of the Chinese community, including:
- Build a work group (SoLiD CN Edu WG) that focus on improving and building the SoLiD courses that introduce to developers about how to build SoLiD apps in minutes to hours, etc.
- Ask more developers to share their open source, experimental or even commercial projects to each other, and ask for contribution from the community to work together in an open and collaborative approach.
- Connect the developers in China who are super interested to contribute to the core infrastructure and SDKs of SoLiD with the SoLiD core team. The developers would definitely play some key roles in long term in driving the development of SoLiD project.
Community is the key to the success of all the great open source projects. To build a great project, we must have a great community. We require the enthusiasm and efforts from the excellent contributors in the community to learn, build and grow together. I believe the above actions would be some small steps but would still be helpful, because they unite the community.
That’s basically some rough ideas I have, based on our discussion today in the WeChat group. Please feel free to comment or share your ideas or feedback, and let’s build and improve the community altogether.