Errors in trying to use the Chat (Web error: 403 (Forbidden) on PATCH of )

Hey there!

I am getting some errors when trying to use the chat. Particularly therese:

1. When I want to create a new chat.

2. When I want to join a chat. This one: https://neumann.solid.community/public/Teodora/

(here, I suppose the person hasn’t made the chat public)

Any ideas? I would be happy to create a public chat (wrangling the concept of meaning… ) and be able to share it.

I remember joining a chat (even uploading a typewriter image created ad hoc) via my phone without a problem and even sending a pic via it.

Thanks!

The chat where you posted the photo of the typewriter was an experimental chat that Tim BL had up for testing for a while. I don’t think it is running anymore. I’m not aware of any other running and populated chats using Solid software, but I could be wrong. I assume you know about gitter Solid chat which is where most of the Solid chatting I know about goes on.

1 Like

Hi Jeff and thanks for the explanation! I know about gitter, it is just I was going to have a debate :slight_smile: about meaning (and the universe of machine- human- readable data) and it would have been wonderful had it took place somewhere on Solid. I will stay tuned and keep trying the chat thing. Thanks again, have a great day! t

1 Like

This works for me using Long Chat feature - by default public chats are readable by everyone but write by no one. To change that hover over the long chat name to see the menu and look for the Rainbow icon (4th from right) and click it. You will see a button lower right “Set specific sharing for this folder”, click it.

Important step: Refresh the page and you will see more buckets for setting permissions: Owners, Editors, Posters, Submitters, Viewers. Now drag and drop WebId of person needing write access and pick your privilege bucket. That should do it.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your answer. What is the formal difference between chats. I know of only one type of chat on Solid. Is the Meeting feature that you refer to as Long chat? thanks!

You’re welcome. Hope it helped.

Long chat is 3rd icon (three black balloons) from left after clicking green “+”. Long chat is not the Meeting feature (5th icon). The (regular) chat is 4th icon which is a single balloon. If someone can point to how to add screenshots in a post, I’ll add some.

I don’t know the formal difference but by observation of the directory contents that result using either - a long chat store each day’s chats in its down folder and file, e.g.

public/long_chat_name/2019/04/26/chat.ttl

Flow participants are tracked in

public/long_chat_name/index.ttl

I think a flow refers to the parties chatting in a long chat and all messages exchanged.

I haven’t worked with (regular) chat yet but looks like all chat messages are stored in one folder and one file. Not sure if and where flow participants are tracked in a regular chat, if at all.

public/regular_chat_name/index.ttl

It appears the intent is for apps that care about wanting look up by date, long chat might be preferred.

With regular chat you will have to read from the POD(s) the entire history before grep’ing by date stamp, which would be inefficient bandwidth-wise as chats accumulate over a long time.

I built my chat app using long chat because of this.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@shingyeung and @jucole - big thanks for your input and even bigger apology for the lag. I am very much into tweaking with this, but rarely find the mind and time space to do it.
Thanks to you I finally created a chat :slight_smile: A long chat. I set the ACL settings and now it should be up and running.
Here is the link: https://teodora.solid.community/public/Anothertest/longchattest2019/

I will appreciate if you could send me a few words :slight_smile:
Thanks again and have a great day!

You are hitting a 403 because the WebID in use isn’t authorized to perform read-write operations in this pod via the chat applet (or pane).

Solution:
The owner of the pod needs to create a webacl that grants access to the Public or a specific group of WebIDs.

Can do after you add my webid https://shing.solid.community/profile/card#me thanks

1 Like

I am hitting a 403 which means you need to add one of my WebIDs to the WebACL that protects the Chat Pane Data.

WebIDs:

1 Like