What app would you love to see on Solid?

Here’s another one: A personal, self hosted Solid Pod server that is bundled as an app to use on older android devices. That way anyone with an old phone, tablet or set top box can have a Pod they have complete control over. I think that this could really drive up adoption, as it would act as a personal web server, online data store, and any other thing you can accomplish wit Solid apps. Also, as with the FreedomBox initiative, a physical server you have in your home is much harder to access without a search warrant.

1 Like

If you can get a reasonably complete version of node running on Android, Data Kitchen is just such a thing (locally installable pod+solidos app).

2 Likes

I like that @TheScooterKing. Node on Android was a huge PITA when I looked at it in the past, but I think this situation has since much improved. NodeJS though is not meant for mobile. Better would be if more different lang implementations of Solid e.g. Java, Kotlin, Golang etc. became available to build this stuff. If you come across good node-on-android resources, whould be great if you could add them to the Stackoverflow Q&A.

1 Like

Thanks for this. as @aschrijver said in another response, node might be a dealbreaker near term. An old esktop computer would also do nicely for the same purpuse, however…

1 Like

Nodejs on Android can be installed with termux

1 Like

Could you then run a Solid Pod on a server app? If so, can you recommend one?

Taking a look at @aveltens webclip GitHub - codecentric/web-clip: A Chrome extension to extract structured data from any web page and store it to a Solid Pod.

I’ve seen a ‘npm run pod’ to start a local server with command

'“pod”: “community-solid-server --config @css:config/file.json --rootFilePath ./dev/pod”

To launch community-solid-server