What app would you love to see on Solid?

1 Like

A collaborative task management system would be nice - the goals and tasks connected to POD files - with the access privilege functionality provided by Solid this would be easy to implement…

3 Likes

A general knowledge mangagement system usable for individuals, groups and business.

You can manage all assets related to specific tasks and goals and you can formulate business rules, logic and pipelines.

Should automatically create reusable middleware components (node.js is great for this).

Memex like applications/UI: this is a suggestion for UI and functionality along the lines of the Memex example below - the README has some nice gifs which show the UI in action.

This could be applied to Solid pods as well as for searching browser history as here.

This implementation stores data locally with optional backup to a server, so it might integrate well with Solid, and could provide a unified UI for search, tagging and annotation across local data, browser history, and pod, with everything you create stored in your pod.

The website has more animated GIFs showing the features and UI:

https://worldbrain.io/

2 Likes

A kanban system, like Trello, but of the variety that also function as an an org-mode outliner.

1 Like

I just heard a suggestion for a password manager that stores your (encrypted) passwords on Solid.

4 Likes

I second the password manager app :grinning:

PS - just watched @timbl dimbleby speech from last night - would love to know more about plans for making it the tool we use to sign in to everything else - and presumable as a forms of identity provision to trusted partners too?

2 Likes

Hi Stitch626,

Do you know if there’s any development in this direction? We are working on such a concept and are planning to build it on Solid.

1 Like

Hi Pieterfly,

I have not seem anything like this (a shopping tracker), but I’m still interested. Do you need any help coding it?

I also had the idea of sending my “purchase” emails to the tracker. Whenever I buy something online I almost always get a confirmation email or two - I could just forward these to a known email address which has some logic to parse them and store the purchase info. This will catch purchases on any site, and paid for by any method. Charity donations too.

Cheers,
-JB- (Stitch)

Ecommerce applications, Payment apps like Paytm, GooglePay, basically applications which uses personal financial data.

Re:Github (a forge) needs new paradigms… check ForgeFed who recently received NLNet funding to work on building ActivityPub-support for forges:

https://forgefed.peers.community/

1 Like

I would really love to see a simple web editor file text files. E.g. an Vim/Emacs emulator for files on the pod. What GitHub - OSC/ondemand: Supercomputing. Seamlessly. Open, Interactive HPC Via the Web does for HPC super computing but then for a Pod.

@hochstenbach - GitHub - jeff-zucker/solid-ide: A syntax-highlighting editor and file manager for Solid data stores. provides the Atom editor for pods an includes vim/emacs key bindings and syntax highlighting. It’s been a while since I worked on it so it may be a little flakey at the moment, but the editor portion should work fine.

2 Likes

Wow that looks exactly what I need . I hope to get it working with my login! @jeffz

1 Like

It needs to be updated to use the new auth.

Also, I will soon be releasing Data-Kitchen, a desktop version of the SolidOS databrowser which will let you use local apps to edit pod data. E.g. emacs, protoge, or heck even notepad if you wanted to :-).

1 Like

There’s also @jaxoncreed’s https://edit.o.team/, although that too needs to be updated for the breaking auth changes. Essentially, VSCode for Solid Pods.

2 Likes

Given the recent activity to allow using ActivityPub with SOLID, I’d like to see a single user Fediverse instance. Being able to post on your own POD and participate with users on Mastodon, Pleroma, et al would be an amazing use case for new users.

4 Likes

Oh yea, that’s nice! There’s the recent ActivityPods by @srosset81 to consider (it is on our AP developer watchlist). On the ActivityPub Application Watchlist there’s a number of projects specifically suited for lightweight single-user use case. Would be very cool to also see Solid support added in a language impl different than JS.

2 Likes

Wondering if a capability to:

• Receive account statements,bills and payment advice
  • Pay bills using established providers
  • Push updates of name, residential address, phone, email address, bank account details to approved parties

would seem interesting to people?

Probably proof of concept only depending upon the robustness of security. Interested in feedback if this idea is in the wrong direction/not suitable.

1 Like