Welcome to the Solid Forum, please introduce yourself here. Great to have you on board

Hi all!

This is Pieter, I’m a design strategist from the Netherlands. As a strategist I focus on the business context of product and service design. For over a year I’ve been working on a solution to make last mile deliveries in e-commerce more sustainable and efficient. As you might expect, it’s a hard problem and it’s still not solved.

We did learn however, that the key to creating a more sustainable last mile (and logistics in general) is to get the data-flow right.

The problem with the last mile in e-commerce is that it’s unpredictable. To solve this you can do two things: Either try to predict what’s happening as good as possible, or make the last mile less prone to unpredictability.

Both require (sensitive) data from the receiver, especially if you throw location tracking in the mix (which I believe is not necessary).

Long story short, we shifted our focus from the last mile to the data-flow. Still in the area of e-commerce we are now working on data-containers for consumers to have more control over their customer journey, from discovering new products to sustainable delivery.

We believe Solid could be the way for us to build a scalable business in which we don’t control the data but facilitate interaction between people and businesses (including delivery services).

I’m very curious about your opinion and I would like to get in contact with people who are working on similar solutions (preferably in the Netherlands)

More info at looptogether.nl (also available in English)

Enjoy your day!

5 Likes

Fascinating Pieter,

This is Angel, software architect with a passion for design and founder - ceo of empathy.co

I share the believe that receiver’s location data (beyond address, needless to say) is not necessary to resolve last mile problem.

Interesting to read the shift of focus to the data-flow, and very interested in your work on data-containers for consumers and delivering control over their journey and why not their insights of consumption, habits, trends, etc.

Let me know if you’d like to converse, I see possible options to partner.

best

am

4 Likes

Hi Angel, thanks for reaching out! Definitely interested to have a talk. I already saw some of your work in the app-listing (Ohmypod!) and it looks very promising. I’ll send you a personal message, maybe set a meeting next week?

Grtz!

Pieter

1 Like

Hi, I’m a webapp developer who developed a note-taking app that makes it easy to retrieve notes by context; any word in the note, date, or location: [https://serenenotes.hominidsoftware.com/](Serene Notes)

I’m currently developing a replacement webapp that will sync between various devices. I need to store the notes locally in IndexedDB, to support the search functionality. It’s not yet clear to me how well SOLID supports that.

1 Like

@DougReeder - If you mean the in-browser indexedDB, that is currently supported by Solid Rest which allows you to use indexedDB and any other storage mechanisms supported by BrowserFS as if they were Solid pods and addressed with rdflib and other Solid frameworks. If you have questions about using it, feel free to message me.

1 Like

I’ll take a look - I need the full power of IndexedDB to perform full-text search on every keystroke (as seen in Serene Notes). My goal is have the sync code run in a Service Worker, keeping the local database up-to-date behind the scenes.

Solid Rest would help you if you were doing semantic searches rather than full-text searches, in other words, if you are searching for triples and terms within triples. For full text searches, I’m not sure how Solid relates and you may be better off doing that bit with straight Javascript.