Welcome to the Solid Forum, please introduce yourself here. Great to have you on board

Hi

I’m Tom Gallagher, a developer from London. Pleased to be here. I have some homework to do to catch up!

Tom

Hi, I am Christian Schulz from Germany, Berlin. I studied medical computer science and work most of the time as an “interface” between business and programming. I love the idea of a decentralised Web and the opportunities it holds. Currently I am helping in a big workgroup which has its Focus at ehealth. The topic right now is the Electronic Presciption and I am helping here with the Data Management. We are at an early stage and I was wondering if this would be an interesting case for solid? Please feel free to reach out - I would love to discuss this topic…to avoid just another centralized service.

I’m Richard G. Hubert, have been working with Solid since Fall 2018. I too am in the medical-device/IoT-space and am interested in re-decentralizing the web. Anyway, I got the solid server running securely on Microsoft Azure but backed off a bit since early 2019, waiting until the TLS-session confusion and the default GUI evolves a bit. Still very interested.

Hi everyone,

I’m Kevin (aka Sparika). I’ve recently replied to some issues on the webid-oidc-spec git, but I thought it would be best to present myself here. Last year I defended my PhD Thesis on the topic of user-controlled authentication in the context of WebRTC. The idea was to see how users of WebRTC services could choose their own identity providers, and how it would impact trust in their communication/authentication of their peers. I focused on trying to integrate OpenID Connect within the WebRTC specifications and see the limitations in practice. One of the perspective I wanted to explore was to use WebID-TLS as the peer-to-peer authentication protocol. Sadly, I didn’t have time to implement that.

I’m quite excited to see their is some interest for decentralized authentication and I’m trying to find some time to play again with WebRTC and WebID. This time with Solid.

By the way, my thesis, in english, is on HAL if you want to take a look.

Hello all, I’m Michael.
Jeff Z. recommended that I introduce myself to you here on the forum. I’m someone who is following solid and taken an interest in the Dataist movement.
I will be the first to admit to you I’m 100% clueless to all things dev and programming, but I’m doing what I can to educate myself and be a part of the community.
I’m a complete NeWb and I don’t know anything yet but I’m working hard to educate myself and learn things.
I hope I can be accepted even though I’m not a dev or programmer.
I look forward to learning and hope I can bring value to the community. :+1:t2:

I’m Timothy Horton, just an observer trying to understand the solution.

I am concerned by the complexity that is emerging in Solid, and wonder if there is a simpler solution, i.e. create a data coop (solve the data ownership problem with ownership, not technology):

Solid Community,

I’m Jim Schoening, Computer Engineer with the U.S. Army. I have a team of 6 part-time software developers and ontologists preparing to submit (in 2-3 weeks) some open source capabilities that focus on data integration for the individual, which should be a good complement to the Solid platform.

Bob Ganger, CUBRC, Inc., my technical lead, will introduce himself shortly, post our contributions, and lead our team in providing tech support.

Jim Schoening

Solid Community,

I am one of the part time developers that works with @JimSchoening.

Greetings :wave:

• KH

Greetings,

My name is Bob Ganger from CUBRC, Inc. and I work for Jim Schoening and his team on data integration solutions using the Common Core Ontology. See our recent topic regarding a prototype we put together using the Common Core Ontology and a Solid Pod. We’re hoping to get some good feedback from the community on our ideas and approach. Thanks.

Hi everyone, I’m Marina and I’m just getting started with web development. I feel like one of the main questions for any web developer is how to choose a web technology stack for a project. And recently I came across this article that explains how to do it properly, wanted to share with y’all: https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/web-development-stacks

Welcome to Solid! Most Solid apps use a Solid backend and a Javascript frontend so that simplifies your stack decisions somewhat if you’re thinking of developing in Solid. Something that article glossed over is Javascript build tools - webpack, browserify, yeoman, etc. Each of them has been used in one Solid app or another,

I’m Dmitri and last 20+ years I spent developing backend applications (mostly with Java).

My last project is https://remote4me.com/ - an aggregator for remote jobs

I would like to extend remote4me and to allow candidates to provide anonymous feedback about companies and about the interviews. On the other hand - I do not want to store personal data in remote4me. Probably I could use Solid for this.

Hello everyone! I’m Michael McCallister, and I’m a technical writer and journalist.

Right now, I’m working on an article for LinuxJournal.com on Solid apps and what is possible to do with Solid Pods today. If you’re a user of one or more Solid apps, I’d love to connect with you: Write me at michael@michaelmccallister.com.

I’ve been interested in decentralized web tech for several years, and want to see millions of ordinary people get comfortable with Solid.

Hi All,

I’m HuMont - an MSc student in Advanced CompSci with a fascination for the decentralised web and data privacy/portability/interoperability.

I’ve been lurking around the solid world for a while, and for my MSc project i’m writing a Java implementation of the Node-Solid-Server (read: i’ll probably be pestering the forums for advice on protocol implementation incessantly).

Looking forward to contributing!

HuMont

Hello everybody !

I’m Benoit Alessandroni, aka Balessan almost everywhere on the WEB. I have been a WEB developer for 10 years now, and I am both part of the Happy Dev freelancers network (website completely outdated and new release planned during August) and of StartinBlox, a company which aims to develop a web-component based client framework to ease the implementation of distributed web applications.

I already talked to few of you during some calls and everything, and my registration here is part of the way for us to become more and more active in the community, instead of staying silent observer of what is going on :slightly_smiling_face:

We are already developing a few WEB applications for our own customers and use-cases, and one of our main target is to stay compliant with the Solid Specification, still being able to deliver our use-cases.

Cheers guys :wink:

Hello everyone,

My name is Rob - my experience is mainly as a full-stack web/mobile dev and sysadmin for a small private company. I find much interest in everything to do with Solid but most interestingly to me are back-end challenges in providing control over personal data while still having protection, and global availability.

Looking forward to some good discussions on here and understanding other points of view…

Thank you,
Rob

@tjhorton - This is kind of along the lines of my thinking where I find it a great challenge to give people absolute control over their data while still having the data protection and availability we have in most systems today.

I live in the States and if I want to give access to my data to someone over in India, optimally, my data would be replicated over on a server closer to the user. I see some big barriers if I am to truly have control over the data. Encryption is great for privacy, but from a data-protection and availability standpoint, you are still at the mercy of who controls the infrastructure.

A consumer cooperative that allows owners to spin up Solid servers in an Azure/AWS-like environment is an interesting idea. I wonder how you could possibly organize and crowd-fund the work, infrastructure, and maintenance that would be needed for that - quite the undertaking to become a decentralized Azure…

Hey @rob - I find this an interesting topic as well. Just curious, when you say, “internet co-operation” - do you mean internet infrastructure or digital?

This has been my main interest around the project - how to truly achieve control over personal data holistically, when there are many other fundamental layers that are currently centralized. We have the Data Storage and Transit layers that are totally centralized right now. I could spin up a Solid Server/POD in Azure and get to it over my Verizon connection from home but that doesn’t seem all that decentralized to me - that makes two different companies that both have control in some sense…

Hello from London thanks for the intro @MitziLaszlo

My name is Kartika Tulusan, I love creaeting apps that drive positive change - lately in crowdfunding and financial products. I’m deeply passionate about a fairer & equal world and feel horrified about big data walls & consumer harvesting with no transparency & lack of current commercial models besides advertising/PR.

I’m now working with a group of people on two areas: 1. Making Solid accessible and User friendly - UX/UI 2. Applying Design Thinking to create empathic 2nd generation of apps that serve citizens and society and not reduce us down to consumers. 3. Creating meaningful personal financial products.

I’m more than excited about the impact Solid will have on us.

Thank you, Kartika

Hey, just a friendly reminder: please create a new thread if you want to discuss specific topics. This thread is for introductions only, so please don’t go off-topic.

If you do find users in this thread you would like to invite to your discussion, I suggest you mention them in that thread and refer to relevant posts there :slight_smile: