Solid scope and ecosystem

I’m not aware of any that have the ambition or potential of Safe Network, just of similar sounding projects. But on inspection other projects I’ve looked at fall short in ambition or implementation.

1 Like

If you’re talking peer-to-peer then DAT Foundation (their DAT protocol) is getting more traction. Very differently positioned to SAFE (which has a very good completeness-of-vision), the recently revamped protocol gets some nice application (I am not really following them, so do not have many pointers… they can be hard to find). Recently I came upon CoBox, a cool DAT-based project providing “an encrypted p2p file system and distributed back-up tool”.

You also have Secure Scuttlebutt Foundation and the aforementioned IPFS suite of protocols. I am very interested in Fediverse (ActivityPub), which right now is federated-only, but there’s increasing amount of research into peer-to-peer usage. ActivityPub itself is just a messaging protocol and mostly agnostic to this. A wonderful development for Fediverse is Spritely Project.

2 Likes

Could Solid POD services be replicated and distributed on DAT?

Phew, that’s a one-sentence question with a lotta possible answers, and I am not well-equipped enough on both technologies to answer. It would require a true deep-dive. They both come with NodeJS implementations, at least :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe so, at least up to a point, in just the same way I’ve demonstrated doing this on Safe Network by implementing part of the Solid protocol in the browser, eliminating the need for a server.

There are other ways to do this I think, but I’m not familiar with the details of DAT, just the basics.

1 Like

Hi all, I have read through many of the posts on this forum particularly those from @aschrijver and @jeffz and I think there are some gaps with what the big picture is for Solid but I also realized that Holochain can fill some of those gaps, especially for hosting of pods.
If you have a few moments I have written an article about this.
https://bit.ly/32NpVCf

Regards
Michael

3 Likes