Solid and file sync / local access

Hey,
I love the idea of solid but I was left with some questions when I read the available documentation.
I was wondering how you can manage your data with your local device when on the go or with a spotty internet connection?
Is there an option to have some or all of your data synced to your local device and then have easy local access to the data. And then have local changes backed up online when internet access is restored?
(I guess similar as how dropbox or nextclouds desktop sync works)
Is there a way to get this working with the current tech stack or is this not the intended use of solid pods?
As a side question, can data in a pod (remote or locally) be accessed with native desktop apps (like editors or document viewers) or do all apps that work with data in a pod need custom solid integration?
Sorry if the relevant documentation or tutorials on this is already out there and I missed it somehow :sweat_smile:
Thanks

1 Like

Data-Kitchen is a stand-alone native (Linux,Windows,Mac) app that lets you treat your local file system as a pod and also use it to browse remote pods. The Solid-shell is a command-line app which can copy files & folders (or an entire pod) between local and remote pods. You can easily set it up to run chron jobs to keep local and remote pods in sync.

1 Like

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: I’ll check these out!