How the concept of Offline POD works?

From my understanding about SOLID so far, an applications that makes use of SOLID has to be connected to web if the application dependent on a POD storage provider. I was thinking, Is there a way to make a PC based solid app work both online and offline? Like storing a copy of app data folder locally and synchronising with the POD when online. (I know it might contradict the goals of SOLID but there have to be a way to make Offline apps work). Or am i missing something about offline PODs? It will be great if someone could shed light on the whole offline concept.

What you are imagining is feasible and I think @Jeffz has done work on using local storage so this can sync with a pod.

I think that is still work in progress, but another way to use Solid offline is to run your own server, either on your client machine, or on your local network.

Solid-Rest can, for many purposes, treat the local file system as a Solid pod when used from nodejs or the command line. This is built into solid-auth-cli and rdflib and works now. Solid-Rest also works in the browser using localStorage, and that is also working now.

Thank you.

Thanks for your reply. Lets say i have an app in PC which makes use of a POD from solid community. I also downloaded the POD locally to provide the offline support. But in the app when i make a reference, i usually refer to a file using URI. How can this be solved? possible to use any mapping table?

One more question, Is it possible to access a POD from an android app? I want to create a mobile application which can store data to a solid POD. I am not sure how to implement the solid auth client and the file manager.

Files in the local file system are addressed via file:// URIs with file:/// being the root of your local filesystem. Files in the browser’s localStorage are addressed with app:// URIs with app:/// being the root (simulated) folder in the localStorage system for that app. In terms of android. From the command line or script (e.g. using termux) nodejs and therefore solid-auth-cli, rdflib,solid-file-client, etc. should run. For a browser-based app in android, I would think using CDN to solid-auth-client and friends would be the way to go or local copies of them for offline use.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Will give it a try.