Looking for a teacher to learn programming solid apps

Hi,

I am looking for a teacher who supports me to learn develop solid apps with react.js and also to develop data structures with rdf in the pod. 1 to 2 hours a week would be a good start.

Greetings Thomas

1 Like

Hi,

If there is an interest to form a group to learn and share resources , or looking for accountability partners , I am in . One of this yearā€˜s plan is to spend 1 to 2 hours everyday to learn solid . If some experienced members could share a rough roadmap or learning path , that would be super helpful .

I donā€™t know of any public courses or people offering to teach. I know weā€™ve training that we use with customers/partners at Inrupt, but itā€™s not open to the public at this time.

I know @Virginia has a bit of a tutorial, and thereā€™s also the Inrupt SDK guides. Iā€™d strongly suggest learning the new react-router and how itā€™s data loaders and actions work, as those, I think, will fit very naturally with how to work with Solid (much better than say next.js or redux).

I do need to eventually find time to document good practices for building data driven apps (such as the transformer / marshalling pattern), but Iā€™ve not had time to do that yet.

Also, just for what itā€™s worth, you can also use Angular or Vue to build apps, we just havenā€™t written a binding for those to @inrupt/solid-client-authn-browser yet (someone did share an angular project on the forum a while back that had pretty decent bindings).

As for @inrupt/solid-ui-react, Iā€™d personally not recommend depending on the UI components too much, as itā€™s far more efficient to do data loading at router level, and gives a better user experience.

The SessionProvider also has a currently known issue where it will render in an indeterminate state, we have it on our backlog to fix, but you can mitigate by wrapping your app in a guard like that found in PodBrowserā€™s code, if it becomes a problem for you: pod-browser/src/authentication at main Ā· inrupt/pod-browser Ā· GitHub (this will eventually move into the react SDK)

1 Like

@ThisIsMissEm Thanks for the pointers.

Are data loaders and actions in react-router better than react-query.

In my opinion, yes, as they execute before render of the application, so enable better loading states and router transitions.

@ThisIsMissEm Thanks.

Do you have an app idea in mind you want to learn on or do you want to learn generic stuff?
@jonwilson is trying to setup an online developing Solid Apps meetup.

I can be helpful when it comes to creating the data model for an app (in rdf). Myself, I am working on a Solid App with React. The 1st version of the data model is done. Now, I need to learn a bit React to continue. You are welcome to check out what we have so far: GitHub - timea-solid/SolidPeriodTracker: This is an Open Source Period Tracker in the making that just happens to be using Solid.

P.s. I also collected some examples of Solid code in a demo app here: Solid Hello Worlds (do mind, the search has a bug because the lib I was using is also a demo).

1 Like

yes, I have a solid app idea indeed. But my knowledge is not strong enough to realize this idea. My little web development skills are a little bit outdated but could reactivated with help of a supporting code teacher. It is a idea for an recovery app to support recovery from mental health issues in an supporting kind if self help community. to use PODs for this kind of very personal data would be great.

1 Like

I love the idea! I would like to help you somehow.
What do you have in mind? How would you want to get started? (We can try to see if we can find a collaborative approach).
Some suggestions I have:

• start a git project where people can follow along;
  • describe first and foremost what the app should do, maybe even how you envision it would look like

Afterward, we can tackle the data model, or maybe start with some basic Solid concepts or RDF.
If we can agree on a common time to meet we can also make it public and invite anyone to join.
My time is limited, given I also have my own projects but if we can work out a schedule and be prepared in that 1 hour, we can be consistent I believe. The thing I cannot help with is React (yet). If anyone with React knowledge joins then I can also learn from this setup.
What do you think?

1 Like

Hi @thomaskarlrichter
Thanks for mentioning me, @Timea
Well, I have some React and general front-end web dev skills (and some back-end, but not nearly as much), as thatā€™s what I do for my day job, and like Timea mentioned, I have a meetup group (which sometimes has online meetups in addition to local meetups) and Iā€™m currently trying to pick a date for our next online meetup, which will focus mainly on app development.
My biggest weakness and something Iā€™m trying to understand better, with respect to Solid, is related to issues working with dataā€“modelling it, writing or consuming ttl (or JSON-LD, and Linked data generally), and doing CRUD things with a Solid pod.
Having said all that, Iā€™d be happy to help in whatever way Iā€™m able, and join an online meeting if possible (and Iā€™ll try to remember to post an update here when I schedule my meetup groupā€™s next online meetup).

4 Likes

Hi,

I can support with React. As @Timea suggested, if you plan to open a git for the project , I am happy to contribute to it . Or if you plan to form a study group, I am interested to join.
Also, interested to join the Solid Apps meetup.

1 Like

Hi All,

Iā€™ve scheduled the next online meetup for my group, and everyone is welcome to join. Weā€™ll focus on the essential parts for Solid Apps, and also Chase Hunt will do a guest presentation on Solid and Open Source. It will be Tuesday, February 21 at 7 PM CST, and you can get the Zoom link by registering here: https://www.meetup.com/minneapolis-solid-project/events/291368275/

@rajugeorge @thomaskarlrichter

Thanks for the update.
The time in India will be 6:30 am on Feb 22nd. I have to leave for office by 7:00 am. I was looking forward for the meetup to meet everyone. I shall hang around for half an hour and leave.

Now listed on the Solid Events page on the website as well :slight_smile:

If the demand is still there for a mini group to commit to learning solid.

@Timea . I have 8 years of using React professionally and want to learn about Solid. Happy to help you help me and have us help others. I have got used to hide under a gender neutral handle but I am a woman an in the same timezone (Brussels). With 24y experience in tech, I do stuff like that DIGIE | MW2016: Museums and the Web 2016. I have some familiarity with triples and quads having used that approach to turn a huge number of heterogenous data scraped from the web into gardening cards for my own use http://gardening-cards.com/. I am very new to solid but I have an habit to create tutorial resources for any new language or framework I learn.

I have put your SolidPeriodTracker on replit Join widged's "SolidPeriodTracker" - Replit. Replit is a code sandbox able to run any computer language. It allows collaborative code editing and supports syncing with any github repo. It is free for public repos. It can also be used to run a server. Happy to show you around. A clone of your SolidPeriodTracker has been throwing up a few errors one me. Some that have been obvious to fix. But it remains stuck on ā€œYou are signed in with WebIDā€ without showing the app. Apparently because there is no periodTracker container that has been initialized yet in my pod. Happy to look into it or happy to help setting up other demo apps.

I would be interested to work on a Svelte version as well. It is so much easier as an environment for non webdev professionals. Similar to vue but with extra advantages.

@thomaskarlrichter that kind of theme for an app interests me. Happy to see if I can help with the React part.

2 Likes

@widged would like to talk with you about the app idea further. I am also on replit. React tictactoe tutorial - Replit

I am @thomaskarlrichter

I would like to implement something like this https://immerse-project.eu/ but with solid.

Hi @uadeutschland Do you have a direct link to a UI or web app screenshot in that project ?

HI @jonwilson Do you know have any plans for an. Online meetup soon?

Hi @Sunshine thanks for asking. I donā€™t have anything scheduled at the moment, but when I do schedule something, I will try to remember to post an update here on this thread and tag you and anyone above who has mentioned an interest.
Iā€™ve been working on a project to help people get onboarded to Solid by collecting and organizing the documentation thatā€™s out there. This relates to what my initial goal was with my meetup, so Iā€™m trying to combine my efforts on both things. And when I get to a place where I feel like I have a lot to share with people about one or both projects (the meetup and/or the getting started project), thatā€™s probably when Iā€™ll schedule a meetup.

Thanks again for expressing your interest! It motivates me to learn that people are interested in doing online meetups.

Thanks a lot for your response. Was the last meetup recorded? if it was, can I get access to the recording?