Handy library to fix/re-populate WebID?

Wait a second… This contradicts with my understanding, and I did not see this anywhere in the spec. Did I miss anything?

Sure. That is not really an issue. I reckon that automatically determining the Pod location in general may be an issue. The App does not have to be fully automated. Asking the user’s input is not a serious issue.
For library, maybe. But a similar way to ask for input is not a big issue.

Surely that is not ideal. But I would say it is A LOT better than unable to use Solid “at all” just because of incomplete/unexpected profile contents initialized by the Pod provider. The worst UX is unusable.

Thanks for bringing up the Inrupt Podspaces. I have very limited experience with it, and did not notice that. In that case, this is a problem; while on the other hand, the same/similar functionality should be provided by Inrupt’s UI to edit profiles. So, ironically, we will have such an App for Podspaces if it is the case.

In another case, where the WebID belongs to an advanced user (and the WebID is on an arbitrary location on the Internet), this should not be a problem at all. Advanced users always have their own ways out, and they will not need this App.

I like that too. But that requires quite a lot of steps, and I don’t feel it is something we will see in 0.5-1 years. This really blocks newcomers. Several people in our team faced with these kinds of issues I described, and that left really bad impressions.

Just to name a few things I feel needs to be addressed before that long term comes into reality:

• Automatically creating and managing Type Index
    • And fixing inconsistency if by any chance
  • “Standard”/“Official”/“Reference” library support to retrieve content based on Type Index
  • Automatically assigning App with a location to store content/configuration
    See also Library for managing App configuration stored in Pod?
  • A mechanism to “advertise” resources created and managed by Apps, without relying on modifying WebID
    • This feels to me a weird thing in fact, and has exactly the same result as using an extended profile. I do not really understand why modifying (extended) WebID profile is not an option for Apps.

It feels to me that most of them are not being worked on or widely discussed at all. Please let me know if otherwise, so the expectation of this “long term” can be shortened.

1 Like