Error when following the tutorial: Authentication client section

I was following the Authentication and client applications in the tutorials repository:

git clone GitHub - inrupt/solid-client-authn-js: A client library for authenticating with Solid
cd solid-client-authn-js
npm install

git clone GitHub - inrupt/solid-client-authn-js: A client library for authenticating with Solid
cd solid-client-authn-js
npm ci

when i run “npm ci” command i got several an error and i don’t know what caused the error, please if anyone faced the same error or know how to solve this problem help me.

npm ERR! code 1
npm ERR! path C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx
npm ERR! command failed
npm ERR! command C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /d /s /c node ./bin/post-install
npm ERR! C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\native\index.js:244
npm ERR! throw loadError
npm ERR! ^
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Error: Cannot find module ‘@nx/nx-win32-x64-msvc’
npm ERR! Require stack:
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\native\index.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\utils\retrieve-workspace-files.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\config\workspaces.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\plugins\package-json-workspaces.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\utils\project-configuration-utils.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-nodes\workspace-projects.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-nodes\index.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-project-graph.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\project-graph.js
npm ERR! - C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\bin\post-install.js
npm ERR! at Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1077:15)
npm ERR! at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:922:27)
npm ERR! at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1143:19)
npm ERR! at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:110:18)
npm ERR! at Object. (C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\native\index.js:66:29)
npm ERR! at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1256:14)
npm ERR! at Module._extensions…js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1310:10)
npm ERR! at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1119:32)
npm ERR! at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:960:12)
npm ERR! at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1143:19) {
npm ERR! code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
npm ERR! requireStack: [
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\native\index.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\utils\retrieve-workspace-files.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\config\workspaces.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\plugins\package-json-workspaces.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\utils\project-configuration-utils.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-nodes\workspace-projects.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-nodes\index.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\build-project-graph.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\src\project-graph\project-graph.js’,
npm ERR! ‘C:\Users\skand\Downloads\scs\solid-client-authn-js\node_modules\nx\bin\post-install.js’
npm ERR! ]
npm ERR! }
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Node.js v18.16.1

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in: C:\Users\skand\AppData\Local\npm-cache_logs\2023-08-30T11_47_48_344Z-debug-0.log

Hello @skandar , thanks for reaching out! This sounds like it is an error specific to GitHub - inrupt/solid-client-authn-js: A client library for authenticating with Solid, so you’ll typically want to open an issue on Issues · inrupt/solid-client-authn-js · GitHub rather than post on this forum, which is more general purpose next time you encounter an issue like this :).

Could you link to the tutorial you’re referring to, so that I make sure I’m answering accurately? I reproduced the error in Run CI on windows · inrupt/solid-client-authn-js@4c75b03 · GitHub, so it looks like the build chain we are using has some issues with Windows. I’ll look into it a bit more, but I guess a first question is: do you need to build our library locally, rather than installing a built version as a dependency of your application?

1 Like

Hey @zwifi! Thank you for your response. In fact, I am new to Solid, and I have a master’s thesis to integrate Solid with HDFS (Hadoop). I started following this tutorial to run Solid locally and to start making changes to the app later on.

After installing the Solid Community Server package, I can register, but I can’t log in (when I click on the login button, it takes me to an unauthorized page, which I found a little bit weird). Can you please guide me on this? A more general question is, if I want to self-host my pod or become a Solid provider, what are the necessary steps? Thank you in advance!

Hi @skandar,

It looks like the issue you’re hitting is related to Lerna which we use to handle our monorepo setup in that library.

Just to make sure that it isn’t a problem with your windows machine setup could you look at Unable to build on windows due to module not found @nrwl\nx-win32-x64-msvc\nx.win32-x64-msvc.node · Issue #3612 · lerna/lerna · GitHub. In particular can try installing Microsoft Visual C++ per Unable to build on windows due to module not found @nrwl\nx-win32-x64-msvc\nx.win32-x64-msvc.node · Issue #3612 · lerna/lerna · GitHub.

1 Like

Thank you!