What is the "atomic element" of SOLID?

At the end of the day (SOLID v1.0) what is the intended “atomic element”?

is it the document / file, essentially a whole turtle file?

or is it the individual graph, triple, resource, URI, etc?

a mix of whatever you want and however you end up using it?

im inquiring from one perspective regarding how ive seen current applications be architected, for instance tic tac toe or bookmarks or notes or chat … it seems that at the end of the day you give other WedIDs access control to a very course grained aspect of your SOLIDsphere, a whole folder, or a whole document / turtle file, etc …

for instance, what if I wanted to give my friend the ability to take my next turn for me in tic tac toe, wouldnt you have to grant access to the entire thing, because each turn isnt its own “atomic element” in terms of how it is currently architected using SOLID?

so you could break it all up, put each turn in its own ttl file/document, but does is the expectation that such design would start to get too far from the “intended granularity” of SOLID?

this very much so also seems related to the design patterns and architectural patterns of reification .

I think the atomic-information in Linked data world is the triple, as a the resource or the link alone doesn’t mean anything. It take sens only when we get a triple.
So ‘located’ or ‘David’ doesn’t be an information whereas ’ David located Lyon’ is .
As you mentioned, I don’t think the Acl system allows you to determine the rights you give at this level ( for the moment? ) but at the ttl file level.
As I understand it, It seems to work as a Linux system. You can give rights at the file level but not at each line in this file.
But using linkeddata is more powerful as the Linux system, in the sens that you potentially can put some triple in one ttl file with some rights that are linked to triples in another file that belong other rights.
This way you can imagine that people with different access rights will get the atomic information that you want to give them.

4 Likes

ok, good response and i agree, that seems to be in line with what i was suspecting as well (especially regarding URI versus Triple versus TTL file versus LDP Folder versus Pod versus Domain versus etc).

the architectural design patterns given varying complexities of granularity are something im investigating greatly .