Say Editor - intellisense style RDFa annotation

Say Editor

Intellisense style annotations of documents with RDFa as you type. Open source project - TLDR link.

Looks very interesting to say the least:

https://say-editor.com/

6 Likes

Looks really interesting but this is another more thing to add to my things to look at , thxs :wink::+1::muscle:

1 Like

Yes, it looks well worth a play but I have to much to do too!

3 Likes

This part seems to be a partial answer to a question I was about to post.:

Reuse and share information

The documents you create with Say are smart. The data inside them can be recognised, extrapolated, shared & reused by making use of RDF libraries.

1 Like

Hi all. I’m one of those behind the Say Editor and can answer questions here if you’d like. We can help out if you’re tinkering with it, would like to build something, or want further explanation.

Expect the documentation relating to the tutorial to be slightly cleaned and extended in the near future.

4 Likes

thxs . I think I’ll give a try soon. But what is the difference with a standard editor?
Could I use it to replace the easyMde editor that I use in my Todo/ notepad app?

Great to have you here! Do you know if there’s a short video demo available somewhere? I tried to see what it looked/worked like, but couldn’t really find anything…

HTML and RDFa are inherently nested. Based on the nesting you receive a certain context. Most editors are not great at handling nested structure. The idea behind say-editor is that we could have good hinting based on the provided context.

To give a (not so great but simple) example:

<div typeof="Person">
  name: Aad Versteden
</div>

You would want an editor to ask you to annotate Aad Versteden as a foaf:name, rather than as a dct:subject.

This inherent nesting becomes more complex andvaluable as more content is understood. The case of legal decisions is a nice one in that regard but I strongly suspect most conversations and literature to consist of such nested structures.

In terms of plugging it in: it reads HTML (though not all of it, like most editors), and it spits out HTML. Should be feasible to use as a replacement.

I’d be personally interested to see the interaction with TODO apps as I’m really interested in optimizing that workflow and tasks come from many more places than such apps seem to recognize. Do ping!

Glad to be here. Never had sufficient reason to post :slight_smile:

Would it help to add a video to show the result of the “Getting Started” tutorial at https://say-editor.com/docs/plugins/getting-started ? I’m working in the area of that documentation so it shouldn’t be too hard to add a quick recording. The other material we are working in is Dutch which isn’t the most friendly.

Also very open to discuss current shortcomings, limitations, and possibilities if you’d like to know more. Video chat is possible too if we can pin a time.

1 Like

That would absolutely be great, would lower the barrier to entry quite a bit. Right now it’s a bit hard to imagine what the result will look like, and going through that whole tutorial just to get an idea of what it does is a bit much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or is there a demo somewhere?

@Smag0 Good idea, we’ll add a trivial live example in the future.

Video of the result is up now. We found ways to lower the burden on plugin implementation so expect the tutorial itself to become a bit simpler still. Wanted to share this in one go but it’s taking longer than intended.

https://say-editor.com/docs/plugins/getting-started

5 Likes

Hi @madnificent, I’m interested to use sayEditor to replace the textarea in the note-element agora/note-element.js at master · scenaristeur/agora · GitHub used in my Agora project Agora Decentralishare

Looking to the library mode https://say-editor.com/docs/deploy-as-library
I don’t use Ember neither jQuery for the moment. Do I absolutely need jQuery or can it be done with classic document.getElementById() function or shadowroot as I do with litelement ?
Thxs

3 Likes

Hi @Smag0, awesome!

If jQuery is absolutely required then it’s bundled. I believe that is the case for now, though it will change over time. Some of our dependencies still use jQuery. We’ve recently dropped some other dependencies too, so the code sample can (and should) be simplified. We’ll go over that repository and update it as needed. I will ping back here.

In order to drop the calls to jQuery, you’d need to select using document.getElementById and you’d need to ensure the sources are fully loaded before running the require statements. You’d also want a replacement for $( function() { ... } ). Long-term, we could wrap the whole of this in a WebComponent.

You will likely want to run your own Ember build if/when you want to add plugins to the mix but that should be described already. If that is unclear, we will elaborate.

Thank you for trying to use Say Editor and reading the docs. We are very much interested in gathering community feedback. We know there is polish missing in various areas, knowing which ones bring most value is essential to prioritize.

2 Likes