Is Solid primarily a privacy platform or an app platform

Might as well give some more (hopefully) constructive feedback, now that I got going.

Note that I’m in here as a technical product owner, not deep-diving, but adopting the perspective of potential techies (devs) joining the fray. Besides Solid I casually follow a bunch of other vNext web technologies and trends.

Right now if I were a dev looking for a project, or an IT decision maker, I would not choose Solid yet - hold my cards - unless I was already well invested in semantic web technology. Adoption, maturity levels, and community size would make me very cautious.

I would hope this is not the case and instead solidproject.org is the focal point of the Solid community from where the core evolves.

It is fine if commercial entities like Inrupt Inc. serve as stewards from the sideline and are big contributors to the core tech, while they are developing their services. But having the core developed in a startup, an enterprise, does not make Solid a real standardization effort imho. In the best case it would be an emerging de-facto standard if/when it gains real traction.

This setup, if maintained, would alienate a lot of developers in open-source realms. And it is in this segment where you’ll the most passionate people that are striving for a radical new and better web.

1 Like