I’m beginning to learn about Solid specifications for my final project by trying to figure out what Solid is designed for and what problems it aims to solve. I’m doing this by formulating my own questions about Solid and, in the end, answering them. This process will help me answer the final question: “Is Solid a good idea for my final project, and what should I learn to thoroughly understand it?”
So far, I believe Solid was created for two primary reasons:
I. Main Motivation: Empowering Users to Fully and Securely Control Their Personal Data:
- To shift towards integrating social features into apps.
- To reduce the dominance of major tech companies like Facebook, TikTok, and Google, which offer free services in exchange for vast amounts of user data.
The list of questions I’ve developed for this motivation includes:
- How can we prevent apps from copying data? What if a company deliberately creates multiple different apps to gain extensive access to user data? Will companies collaborate to aggregate large amounts of user data?
- Will there no longer be any free services available?
- How should the management and storage of vast amounts of data, particularly data not associated with specific individuals, be handled? For example, how should data collected by Google from user searches be managed?
- How does this differ from a data server that provides a user interface for data management and permissions?
- Will Pod servers become “social big tech” platforms?
- If users manage and grant data permissions through a data management app, does this mean that compromising the app would grant control over the data?
- Is the current trend of integrating social elements into the web and apps going in the wrong direction when everyone can create multiple WebIDs, fake WebIDs, and impersonate others to claim a WebID segment?
II. Interoperability: All Apps Can Share Data and Work Together.
- What is the workflow for this cooperation?
- How can we ensure that every member in the ecosystem works honestly? How can we be sure that an app with the right to update data does so correctly?
After listing my questions, I realize that there are some core components and concepts I need to learn about Solid specifications to answer them:
- Data in Solid
- Pods-Apps Communication
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this I would greatly appreciate your feedback and contributions:
- Is my general, basic knowledge about Solid correct? Am I on the right path in terms of learning about it?
- Can you help me answer any of the above questions or recommend resources that I can refer to for self-study?
- Share your own questions about Solid specifications.
- Let me know if there are any unresolved questions about Solid up to now.
Thank you. I appreciate your assistance and input!