Travis Vachon presents SOLID Protocol and ItMe

Found this talk by Travis Vachon to be a good description of Solid, and think his work on itMe and Solid will interest many.

2 Likes

Cool @travis!

(Also, if you’re understandably afraid to manually edit Turtle in your Pod, be sure to check out Penny :slight_smile: .)

2 Likes

oh this is EXCELLENT @Vincent thanks!!

Vincent, this Penny app is great! Do you mind if we deploy it as the frontend for the community-solid-server deployment backing this app?

Thanks! Don’t want to hijack this topic, but of course not - it’s open source for a reason :slight_smile: . Ruben has even already been so kind as to set up the configuration needed to use it as the frontend: community-server-recipes/penny at main · solid/community-server-recipes · GitHub

If you want to further discuss Penny, see: New developer tool / app: Penny.

2 Likes

Hi Travis,

On the video someone asked to what extent pods are under our control, and you talked about cooperative control of the infrastructure that runs pods, a cooperatively owned and operated pod store host.

I like that idea but I would hope that at some point in the future pods would be internal or local proxies, that is, on localhost. The backing store would be on an autonomous replicated network like Safe (for example) where the resources you need are replicated close to you.

In other words, your pod would actually exist as a resource on Safe that would describe your pod. That description or recipe would be copied to create a proxy to your pod on localhost. You could do that because the pod created would just be a proxy for your pod, not really all your data, but actually an http interface, a recipe for how to get your data. All the resources in your pod would still be out there on Safe, including the permissions descriptions, so a local version of your pod would not be able to do anything more or less with your pod than if accessed directly in the http world.

If you wanted to access another pod in parallel, it too would be created as another http server on localhost, etc.

The code that builds pods on localhost from descriptions somewhere else would have to work well enough so that non-coders could run it and not even be aware of what is going on underneath.

Pods would in effect be just a way to relate Safe resources together and make Safe resources interoperable.

I don’t know if all this is practical. I confess that these days I’m mostly just an armchair developer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes!! What you’re describing is very similar to setting up a local HTTP proxy/cache in front of a Solid Pod, something you could do today! DNS gets in your way a little but I think there are ways around that.

One of my favorite things about Solid is that it rests on top of the flexibility of URIs so I expect we’ll be able to integrate ipfs(and other blockchain solution)-backed Pods, local Pods, local-network Pods attached to your router and public Pods on the open internet in one big open ecosystem with RDF as the intermediary.

2 Likes