Permissions to delete or create in a friend's POD

Hi! I’m triying to overwrite or delete and create a file in a friend’s POD but I can’t.

I’ve tried to grant editor’s permissions in the file that i want to overwrite and in the folder where that file is stored, but it don’t seems to work.

So my question is, is this even posiible? O I just can’t edit a friend’s folder like that?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi @AnaGciaSchz do you get any message in the console? What lib do you use?

@Smag0 Hi! I get the following messages:

• HEAD “.acl of the file that I’m trying to overwrite by deleting it and creating it with the new info” net:: ERR_ABORTED 403 (User unauthorized)
  • HEAD “.meta of that file” net:: ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)
  • Uncaught (in promise) SFCFetchError: SFCFetchError403 “.acl of the file” -Make sure that the origin of your app is authorized for your pod

I’m using silid-file-client to delete the file and solid-auth-client to create it, but I did some tests and I can’t even delete it and I think is because of the permissions. I have Editor’s permissions in the file and its folder, and the folder is in the root of the storage.

@AnaGciaSchz that is caused by my unclear documentation in solid-file-client. In cases where you have Write but not Control access, you must use fc.delete(URI) instead of fc.deleteFile(URI). I am changing the documentation.

1 Like

@jeffz I changed that method and now it’s working! Thank you :grin:

Glad to hear it :-), The reason is that, by default fc.deleteFile() tries to delete the file AND the access control file for the file, whereas fc,delete() only deletes the file, not its access control. You need Control access to even find out if an access control file exists so fc.deleteFile() will fail without Control access.

3 Likes