Is it feasible to store personal information from facebook and Instagram in a pod?

Is it feasible to store personal information from facebook and Instagram in a pod?

So, the very simple answer is “yes”. Since data is data, it can be stored in a SOLID Pod.

But to add some complexity, how do you know the data which Meta has about you and the data they provide you with through their APIs are identical? You don’t. They may provide you with a subset of their total data, and they may provide you with data that is false but unverifiable.

As far as tooling, no one has made this yet, and I doubt Meta themselves would ever produce a product to make moving away from their ecosystem easier.

2 Likes

If you are in EU jurisdiction, the GDPR gives you the right to data portability, so you should be able to export all your information from Facebook. Facebook provides a way to export your data as html and json (https://www.facebook.com/help/930396167085762) which, in theory, includes all your Facebook data. Though, this is only a one-time view of your data, not a live API to interact with.

Storing the information won’t be a problem. The question is what you want to do with it? If you want to view your exported Facebook messages, that won’t be a problem. If you want to make Facebook 2.0, with a personalized feed, suggestions, etc. it’s definitely a lot of work and research to develop this.

As it turns out, regardless of what the GDPR says, getting data out of Facebook is not easy or necessarily even possible. See Getting my personal data out of Facebook | Ruben Verborgh

1 Like

I’ve did it several years ago and remember that I’ve got at least all my conversations as html and in machine-readable format (including pictures). I don’t remember what else was in this export. I’m quite confident that this export still works.

I’m not sure what Ruben is referring to with “Facebook refuses to comply with my GDPR Subject Access Requests in an appropriate manner.”. Maybe he argues that this export is not completely fulfilling the GDPR and some information is missing, or the export was different when Ruben wrote this article.

And too, I guess it depends on what we mean by our data. For example, did the pictures include any tags you added to them while they were on Facebook or any of the EXIF data that was in them before you uploaded to Facebook? In my experience the answer to both questions is no.

2 Likes

Unfortunately across the pond I don’t get the same nice protections and guarantees as Europeans, so I apologize for speaking from my USA-centric approach. I’m also not in California with the CPRA or other states with string consumer privacy laws :sweat_smile:. But even back when I used facebook more frequently it was nearly impossible to remove your presence entirely or get all of the data they had easily migrated or destroyed.

exactly, if facebook can link to personal pod, than I can gain the data from Facebook in real time.

Yes, we have the right of data portability, but it is difficult to achieve. we can download some data from Facebook,but I want to know if our data store in pod. how can other social media access our data in the case? such as, my liquid chat data store in pod pro, if another service want to access the data, how to achieve it ? thanks!

1 Like