Hit a wall with SSL certification on single user servers

Trying to set up a basic solid server following these instructions on the github. Generated certs using the openssl command shown in the README and had the same problem as in this forum regarding the fact that I’m logged in but not allowed to view the information.

Tried the intermediate step of just passing the ssl as a flag and now instead of getting the logged-in-but-no-permission, it logs in and remains on the page asking me to log in.

I will try to get a legitimate cert from Let’s Encrypt to see if the problem is just with the self issued certs but as a newcomer, this is somewhat of a barrier - I’m a Windows user so there’s no easy tool for me to grab a cert from them easily and implement it properly with the solid server. Also I’m not trying to test the Solid server for contributing purposes at the moment, so running bin/solid-test is out of scope for this particular use case.

TLDR: There should be a noob hand holding cert tutorial for Solid or at least a link to one.

Have you tried running bin/solid-test? It’s in the README, but it’s easily skipped (I did this a couple of times myself when setting up the server for the first time).

Concerning our hitting a wall and a server TLS/SSL certificate as a culprit variable cf. /Symptom: Access to Main ("index") Page Denied for Owner's WebID When Setting Up a Solid Server on a Windows Machine/112/15?u=gandalfprime: You still can continue to come up against a brick wall or still better solve the issue at hand using the self-signed certificate. However, you may have to make use of --no-reject-unauthorized flag to make the Solid server to accept self-signed certificates.

I will try to get a legitimate cert from Let’s Encrypt to see if the problem is just with the self issued certs but as a newcomer, this is somewhat of a barrier - I’m a Windows user so there’s no easy tool for me to grab a cert from them easily and implement it properly with the solid server...

Cit. @Mordax in this topic on this forum.

If you are futzing on Win8.1+, Posh-ACME, an ACME v2 client implemented as a Windows PowerShell (PS) module might be the way. Anyway, I did not find the suitable point (or rather em dash) of time to upgrade to Win8.1+ and verify if Posh-ACME holds what it promises. slightly_smiling_face

TL;DR: There should be a noob hand holding cert tutorial for Solid or at least a link to one.

Cit. @Mordax in this topic on this forum.

Certificates are—though invisible most of the time—the foundation of the Web, with linked data applications that are completely decentralized and fully under users' control or without such applications. I've adopted the corresponding skills on the job. The matter is full of hot air and there may on purpose be not much noob hand offering assistance.