Is RDF "hard"?

That is funny, and in my view, encouraging. It seems to me that everyone agrees that we need more interoperability, but we can’t all agree on how to solve it. In that sense, it’s probably because the problem is actually hard.

Solid is actually my first exposure ever to RDF. Prior to this I wasn’t even aware of the Semantic Web. This thread has been helpful in my understanding the existing … pain points around it. It makes me feel better with the notion that there is some friction behind leveraging it; at least to the point that it’s not widely adopted by developers.

I was mulling this over yesterday, and while I don’t have the energy, experience, and bandwidth to do this, I was thinking that what I wanted as a developer to work with RDF is something akin to Github Copilot.

Basically, if I acknowledge up front that the data in my application is likely not unique, then maybe I can have something magical build the RDF for me if I describe it “well enough.”

For example, building an online retail app is not a new problem. There’s customers, there’s products, there’s orders. I don’t want to sit down and figure out the RDF for all of that - I would just like to describe it and have the data model built for me. (With the understanding that I shouldn’t accept the defaults, but rather validate it.)

More specifically, I’d love it if the AI built for me the code base for a repository for my app to work with, and handled the RDF well enough that I didn’t have to figure out all the needed vocabularies, etc.

Kind of a wild idea, anyway.

1 Like