Aligning efforts in LD schema / ontology design + adoption

@anon36056958 I just created a new topic on the SocialHub forum related to this thread, i.e. about arbitrary Linked Data vocab support on the Fediverse. I also mentioned SolidLoV app plans.

I was triggered by the interesting approach of the go-fed ActivityPub library that supports extensions defined as JSON-LD vocabularies using a subset of OWL2 Web Ontology Language. Go-fed uses these as input for codegen to create strongly-typed language support in Go.

Some very cool ideas in go-fed. For those interested I recommend watching the APConf video: Go-Fed: Past, Present, and Future.

(OT: @happybeing, the end of the video also addresses extending AP to p2p environments - an area you are intested in - and also using different transports than HTTP like SSB)

2 Likes

Vocabularies are definitely important, and any boundary between linked data vocabularies and natural language vocabularies is ultimately an artificial one, so the processes of discovery and maintenance might be similar.

An interesting thing to read, although its specific to English, is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_and_the_English_Language. Examples of new terms invented in English just recently: “woke”, “bling”, “microagression”, “truthiness”, and more recently: “great reset”.

How are these terms chosen, used, evolved, discarded? This is how language and culture evolves and its probably similar with coding languages, ontologies that are supposedly purely technical, and the web itself.

There won’t be a final perfect state for the giant global graph (hopefully not anyway). It will always be argued over and there will always be many versions of branches. Its social, so a schema finding/building/maintaining app also has to be social.

If the first step is thinking about relationships between concepts, then probably
there will be social groups formed around vocabularies which are interested in those relationships or use them already.