Location versus Content

@markjspivey have you read @sergejspomer’s post and work? Much of it is about how best to organise data in Solid. See: Concepts for apps in a decentralised web (Solid forum)

This lead to a discussion on the SAFE forum which is a good exploration of both his work, and a way to combine both the useful metaphors of addressing by location (folders, files etc), addressing by classification (labels which identify the creating app, data types such as photo, image etc, classifications such as personal, business, financial etc, mostly applied automatically), and where all data is also inherently content addressed (so three metaphors which all work together orthogonally). See: Concepts for apps in a decentralised web (SAFE forum)

I’m very interested to read about a fourth, using content addressing of triples @pukkamustard. RDF is a native data type for SAFE, so I’ll have a think about how this could work with capability based access control. I think it will be fine because access control is orthogonal - addressing by content is just knowing where the data is. You will still need permission in order to access and decrypt it.

So my question is more how content addressing based on triples could be used to locate the data in the backend (whether Solid, SAFE, IPFS or whatever). I’ll go read!

@pukkamustard I see your motivation is reliability in a system where trying on servers creates inaccessibility. Do you have other use cases for this?

This would not be an issue with SAFE, so I’m wondering about other uses. Intuitively I can see it would likely be useful and I’m aware that different approaches to supporting this kind of content addressing might be selected based on the use cases. Actually, having read that you have an efficient scheme for creating a canonical representation of any RDF my question is not relevant. This could definitely be implemented on SAFE, making any RDF document, including the canonical representation content addressable. I’ll pass your paper on because I think this is an important capability.

I posted on the SAFE Development forum for comment but the devs are very busy atm so I don’t expect an immediate response. See: Content addressing RDF

1 Like