Welcome to the Solid Forum, please introduce yourself here. Great to have you on board

Hi everyone, I’m a software engineer, I’m part of the SAFE Network community and helping MaidSafe, working towards having APIs which can help developers and users to adopt RDF and linked data for their applications. I see the SAFE Network as an excellent option for SOLID PODs and decentralised identities (like WebIDs), and several other aspects. I’m looking forward to see how both projects can complement each other in this journey of decentralising the internet and web.

16 Likes

I’m Maya, a software developer frustrated with my colleague’s acceptance of the reality that we must follow the lead of companies who make walled gardens of the Internet. And on top of that, also be expected to be excited about it.

We must do better. We cannot lose the Internet as the most precious repository of human knowledge and instantaneous communication to those who would rather make a quick buck.

Decentralization is the key to it, in my opinion. I’m here to support Solid and do all I can with my various skills to improve it. I look forward to working with everyone and adjusting my own mentality from centralized towards decentralized application design.

14 Likes

Hi I’m Jeff Zucker, a semi-retired software developer, writer, and cultural anthropologist. For me, the central issue of computing is ensuring that knowledge is available to all, including the most marginalized. I worked on that issue in the fields of medical informatics and international human rights, providing policy consulting, building websites and software for Columbia University, five branches of the UN and dozens of NGOs working on climate change, anti-racism, reproductive rights, and other issues that are important to me. Somewhere along the way I created a bunch of open source perl modules, now maintained by others. I am excited about Solid both from a love of its semantic underpinnings and from a strong interest in seeing a world in which knowledge can be accessed and created by those who need it most. I’ve started to create a few Solid apps and libraries so please keep an eye on the Apps Testing category and send me feedback. An old alt.hypertext guy, I voted yes on the CFV for the creation of comp.infosystems.www and my life hasn’t been the same since. It could happen again!

12 Likes

There are probably a million or so people living today whose given names, shortened, sound just like mine. Originally just a username, filsmyth has become my identity.

Though my main focus is automotive design, the mind races… I tend to extrapolate and attempt to sort of backwards-engineer the future. Currently there is an unfinished draft on my new blog (created after the g+ sunset revelation) about global guaranteed income — what most refer to as universal or unconditional basic income (UBI).

My non-governmental solution for ggi involves holochain, distributed networks and secure facial recognition. Users will operate their own micronodes, from which they will interact with the larger world in every aspect. As each of us has a subdermal vein pattern more unique than a fingerprint, near-infrared cameras and spoof-proofed FR software will soon have all of us needing only our faces as positive identification.

No more cards.

And soon, no more physical currency. The autonomous system I’ve envisioned charges a very small, more-than-competitive fee on each monetary transaction, in any and all legacy currencies. Then it turns around and shares profits with each individual human user.

There are many more details to this elaborate daydream, but I’ve already gone on too long.

Anyway, suffice to say I have become very interested in distributed networks, individual digital security, and machine intelligence.

9 Likes

@jeffz, just now I happened to reacquaint myself with the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights, several articles of which are regularly violated by member states, seven decades after the Declaration was released. Let’s hope it doesn’t take a full century for us to uphold these rights for everyone on Earth… I get the feeling that this project could be an important step in achieving that goal.

7 Likes

Hey there! I am Teodora and I am a content writer very much intrigued by the Semantic Web. I love love seeing the project Solid taking off, and as code unsavvy I am, am doing my best to learn more about Linked data in action. The reason I am so into computer code is because I see it as a yet another factor broadening textuality - another favourite theme of mine. :slight_smile: Looking forward to help with what I can so that we can build the Web of People together!
P.S.
There are cool intros to cool people here at the forum too - Just saying hello.

12 Likes

Hello everyone.

I’m Jim, and I’m a User Experience designer working on the SAFE Network, which will have linked data at its core.

There are plenty of fascinating and complex design problems to be solved when you give humans back control of all their data, and make it portable. That’s I’m privileged to be working.

Look forward to contributing,

14 Likes

Hello, thanks for having me here, I hope this will be a better community for businesses and social networks

2 Likes

I offer opportunities for businesses that need non recourse funding for start ups and established institutions that need more funding to broaden up their investment, we monetize owned sblc bg and clients do not pay back that is why it is non recourse funding.

1 Like

Hi I am developer interested in solid ecosystem.Let me know where to begin exactly so that it will be helpful for my startup business (www.avrhil.com).Suggest me the beginning of development

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Rob Drake. I find programming a wonderful hobby, as I can engage my brain. Right now I’m living in a nursing home, everything from my naval up works fine, just not below my naval. I may not be at the same level of skill as the rest of you, but I keep learning, maybe I’ll publish something useful.

8 Likes

Have you seen Some basic resources for newcomers? https://solid.inrupt.com/docs is also a great resource to start with.

5 Likes

I am a believer in Solid and I am here to help out with what ever I can on my free time. 20 years in the IT area as Entrepreneur, Consultant and now Head of Front-end, Design & UX.

I love Front-end development and everything around it. USER FIRST is my approach, so I do Personas, User Tests, and so on.

I hope to help out with creating a better user experience and to develop som awesome Solid apps to the community.

I just registered on LinkedIn, feel free to connect with me there: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eduardo-ibacache-rodriguez-707117172/

/Eduardo

6 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:, I’m Jessica. I found out about Solid through Pinboard.in’s popular feed which I lurk through frequently just to see what the technology sector is talking about. I’ve been teaching myself programming for about three years now, which hasn’t been all that hard having had worked with the PHP/MySQL in open source software like WordPress and PhpBB in the past, but I’ve had to unlearn a lot of the old ways I used to handle HTML/CSS and even this whole concept of frameworks/bundling and management through the terminal. I guess I should be happy that I’m only 29 and am still open to new ideas though!

Compared to a lot of the new technologies being worked on right now, Solid has a ahem solid purpose to what it’s going to do for the world wide web in the long term, and has a decent first app walkthrough, along with explanations of linked data and how to work with it. I have made very good progress on making an app that fetches and updates with rdflib, and have even come up with my own namespaces I’m using along with the common ones. And pretty much any problem I’ve had so far has been easily solved by looking through a library’s source code as well as some of the apps that other people are working on and existing RDF guides.

Really am benefiting from a lot of the posts here so far as well. So thank you to everyone who’s contributed to the discussions so far. I don’t doubt with more polish and a few breakthrough apps that Solid wouldn’t take off, there’s so much wanting of alternatives and new ideas at the moment with everything going on off and online.

11 Likes

Hello Everyone! I am a semi-retired scientist specializing in physics of magnetic fields in the solar atmosphere, principally at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in the USA. I now live on a working farm in Costa Rica. I am now involved in the ThreeFold global movement to establish a neutral, green, completely decentralized grid of internet compute and storage capacity (see threefold.io). With this involvement I have encountered SOLID, and being that ThreeFold and SOLID share similar philosophy regarding the current status of the internet and what needs to be done about it, I thought it best to make connections to see how we could work together toward our common goals.

9 Likes

Hello Guys, I’m a brazilian professor on Ccomputer Science field. I finished my PhD one year ago and the theme was Securing Authentication Frameworks (applied for OpenID). I’m so impressed with this initiative and would like to contribute and do some research with the platform. I would be pleased to talk with everyone interested on some technical work.

8 Likes

Lizard%20in%20Jasper

Greetings to all. I am Elizabeth and my nom de plume is Herald.
I am intrigued and excited to be here.
I aspire to be a bona fide resident Water Maven in this unfurling community of innovators.
TIME IS NOW. REMEMBERING WE ARE WATER AS LIFE.
:blue_heart::sweat_drops::whale2:

[Loving Waters]

6 Likes

@Sascha I love the sea as I love my Mother.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Conor Muldoon, a Research Scientist from University College Dublin with research interests in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, Multi-Agent Systems, and Sensor Networks. I’m interested in developing a decentralised recommender system for news and online content using Solid. Last week I submitted a proposal for the SFI Future Innovator Prize (http://www.sfi.ie/funding/funding-calls/future-innovator-prize/) to potentially obtain funding to develop the system.

10 Likes

Hi, Hashir Rizwan here from Technical University of Chemnitz (https://www.tu-chemnitz.de), Germany. Currently pursuing Masters in Web Engineering with interest towards advance management of data. I am also working as a data analyst at PRISMA European Gas Capacity GmbH (https://corporate.prisma-capacity.eu/).

I have started a research project at my university in SOLID along with my team (https://wefourc.com/). We have a diverse skill set in our team, so working on any specific problem within SOLID would not be a problem for us. And obviously, a very energetic team who are always eager to learn something new.

We are currently building demos on SOLID and looking forward to solve real world problems.
Also, we want to be a part of SOLID community world-wide by leading community development efforts in Germany.

Other than that, big Liverpool F.C fan (Yes we should win the league this around) and a traveler.Looking forward to travel to Norway next!

If you have any ideas what could we do with SOLID do not hesitate to drop me a message here, or on hashir.rizwan@outlook.com.

Best,
Hashir

12 Likes