Is Solid primarily a privacy platform or an app platform

PS. I want the best for Solid, and I want to feel comfortable enough to use it. Right now I don’t feel that comfort.

Edit:

Just now I see the updates on solidproject.org and spec document, which make me a lot happier already. With “Switch between storage and apps while taking the data along” it is reasonably clear, but the confusion for outsiders is still easily triggered, imho.

In the spec it says " A Solid app is an application that reads or writes data from one or more data pods." so that means - correctly - any application that incorporated the standard. But ‘Solid app’ and ‘app’ are just contextual to the specification document and care should be taken to not have that creep into the common language / terminology used to communicate to the outside world, as there everything in every standard is also an app, and then Solid apps appear to be in a different sub-category, a niche, to that.

On solidproject.org in Using Solid I’d write:

" To get started with Solid you will first need a Pod and a WebID, after which you can start using any Solid-compatible app."

Or something similar. In the Developer section (which is way better now in general, btw) after “Getting Started”:

1. Integrate Solid (with your favorite pony)
  2. Build Solid Web Apps
  3. Host Solid Pods

Then it quickly devolves into ‘Writing your first Solid web app’, with “This tutorial assumes you are familiar with modern JavaScript and its ecosystem” and any Rust, Go, Java, Guile, etc. developer closes the tab.

But it is a work-in-progress, I understand… just giving feedback :blush:

:x:    Sorry, I found this is not the right place to write this, so I created an issue in the Vision panel instead.

2 Likes