Interoperable Serendipity

i enjoyed the clarity of the text and i learned new stuff from it. thanks for sharing!

One example is the type index, which is a way to declare where you data is stored so that other apps can find it.

This reminds me of a recent conversation on this forum. It seems that type indexes aren’t really a standard. In fact there is a Solid Interoperability Panel that works on a new Solid interoperability specification. AFAIK that one doesn’t specify type indexes, but Shape Trees, something called Registrations and probably other stuff.

Do you know about this effort? What do you think about it?

i’m curious, because i’m somewhat skeptical to the new spec; but that’s mainly because

1. i don’t understand it. it seems complex to me and i haven’t found an answer to the question Is this really necessary?
  2. of the text by Aaron Swartz in Programmable Web (also here):

And instead of spending time building things, they’ve convinced people interested in these ideas that the first thing we need to do is write standards. (To engineers, this is absurd from the start – standards are things you write after you’ve got something working, not before!)