Data Transfer Project for Importing Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Twitter Data into Solid

Does anyone know if work is being done to connect Solid to the Data Transfer Project?

More Background:
The Data Transfer Project was formed in 2017 to create an open-source, service-to-service data portability platform so that all individuals across the web could easily move their data between online service providers whenever they want.

The contributors to the Data Transfer Project believe portability and interoperability are central to innovation. Making it easier for individuals to choose among services facilitates competition, empowers individuals to try new services and enables them to choose the offering that best suits their needs.

Current contributors include Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Twitter.

https://datatransferproject.dev/

5 Likes

@RubenVerborgh I thought DTP was using Linked Data, is that not the case?

@gideonro there’s a repository which @timbl created a few weeks ago which I believe is a focus for this, see:

4 Likes

That’s great to hear, @RubenVerborgh. It seems like a leveraged way to achieve the goal of freeing people’s data from lock-in. It’s just hard to tell from their public website just how far along these efforts actually are. And thanks, @happybeing, I’ve definitely been paying attention to that @timbl project. I just didn’t realize it might be connected to the DTP effort. That would be excellent.

4 Likes

If you are interested in this conversation, perhaps you would be interested in joining the External Interop and Outreach Panel.