Blockchain Hackathon Won with Solid

Hi there,

DISCLAIMER: I am new here, so I am not sure if this is the right place to share this with the community.

Last weekend, we won an AI & blockchain hackathon using Solid as our base technology to build a digital permission protocol.

The juries found the approach innovative and relatively simple in contrast with some of the blockchain approaches.

Maybe we should tackle more of these events/challenges with Solid to showcase its reach.

18 Likes

Sounds great! Could you post details about your project?

1 Like

sure thing. We built an ontology to standardize permission requests and used Solid Pods as an identity provider and a store for the requests and sensitive data. We then built an interface for managing those requests that can be embedded in any website. This enables a third party service to request permission to access your private data by simply embedding our solution.

2 Likes

Nice, will you open source it?

1 Like

of course! it’s hackathon code, so we need to clean it up before though.

7 Likes

This is great! We are in real need of a way for apps to request permission. Congratulations and thanks!

5 Likes

Here’s a video of what we did: https://youtu.be/Ys4jh8GhGhk

And an article: https://www.innoveermeemetjenv.nl/actueel/nieuws/2019/04/16/blockchain-hackathon

6 Likes

Great news!

How can I look at your solution?

Do you think blockchain might be a solution to How to build and publish my own schema?

Hi there! My name is Flores Bakker, enterprise architect and challenge holder for the hackathon. The team of Ludwig Schubert, Elliott Brunet, Malte Sielski, Colin Boehning, Jonathan Freiberger and Lukas Menzel won my challenge with their innovative use of Linked Data and Solid Pods. Congrats again! :wink:

Perhaps it helps the Solid project if I provide some backgrond knowledge. Here is the original challenge:

https://www.odyssey.org/ministry-of-justice-and-security-challenge-government-backed-protocol-for-digital-permissions/

Additional information about consent and approval management (see slide 24 up and till 40):

Reading here the expressed need for a way for apps to request permission, I’d like to point out a thing or two. Digitalization of permissions in general should be based upon a sound understanding of what it means to approve, permit or consent. In what capacity is approval requested from an approver? What does one ‘give away’ when approving or rejecting, what ‘transaction’ lies underneath? The legal concepts of Hohfeld can provide this context and should be taken into account when developing solutions in this field, especially when it comes to such a fundamental change Solid strifes to apply to the web. The legal concepts of Hohfeld provide a framework of correlated concepts that can be digitalized.

In the specific case of sharing private information, it is about a person having ‘the Hohfeldian power’ to grant or decline someone else ‘the Hohfeldian Right’ of use of this persons data. When granted, all the others have “the Hohfeldian duty” to respect this right. An ontology for approval management should reflect this. Actually, I believe that Hohfeld’s concepts could be the base of a global jural infrastructure, including digitalized universal powers, rights and duties of mankind, nature, machines & API’s. Protection of privacy for civilians or freedom of speech, nature’s own proprietary rights, the trading of equity and assets between machines… Well, let’s end this quickly here before I derail the topic too much :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

If you are interested in this conversation, perhaps you would be interested in joining the External Interop and Outreach Panel.

1 Like