An idea for incremental UX

When you set about writing a TODO list and end up with a vision, and it has a lot more ‘blimey this feels good’ to it than you realised. That’s good!

I think iUX has been brewing in me for decades.

I offer you the embrionic, the blimey, the iUx Vision. I may need some help!

3 Likes

I don’t know why but every time I think I want to quit Solid, or think I should quit Solid, I see something really cool on the forum.

Do you think it would be possible and/or worthwhile to make a svelte-iux component that could work as a solid-pane? I’m thinking particularly of a replacement for the folder-table solid-pane, which is demo’ed in TimBL’s public folder here. Then maybe for example when you click on an rdf resource, it would open the appropriate thing, like your visualizer.

I don’t know enough about Solid panes to answer specifically, but I do hope the approach I’m imagining in iUX will work more generally, and who knows might be a new [cough] paradigm :wink:

I’m so glad you think it is “cool”. I hesitate about posting stuff on the Solid forum that isn’t strictly Solid, but do it anyways :smile:.

When I have something people can see more easily or even play with I hope it will be easier for people to see the answers to questions like yours for themselves. Thanks for reading it!

1 Like

I didn’t dive into your idea in detail, but I think the terminology commonly used for this is “Progressive disclosure”, so you might be interested in what people have written/said about that.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. That is very handy and now I’ve written down my outline ideas is probably a good point to go look at how others have approached this. Damn, I want to get back to making stuff!

UPDATE: I’ve done a quick search for “progressive disclosure” and updated my section on alternative techniques in the README. Thanks again @Vincent.

I can’t believe I only recently stumbled across the details html tag. I can’t get enough of it now :wink:

<details>
                <summary>Header 1</summary>
                <details>
                    <summary>Header 2</summary>
                    <details>
                        <summary>Header 3</summary>
                        <p>And so on...</p>
                    </details>
                </details>
            </details>

Thanks Glen, I’m going to use this!

1 Like

UPDATE: I’ve added a first attempt to define a set of iUX components here

I’m not sure if it’s of any help to you but the CSS framework i’m currently working on is going to be largely built around the details tag. You probably saw my POD template. However, in light of your proposal, the whole thing could be broken up and each section put inside a details tag. It would make everything a bit cleaner and people could just drill down (as you have stated) as far as they need to go. It would also work better on mobile.

2 Likes

I’ll be very interested to see how this goes Glen. Having done a quick review as noted in the update to my README above, I think there’s room for improvement in the way current services provide incremental UI or “progressive disclosure”.

It would be great to share ideas and give feedback on each other’s efforts.

@happybeing I don’t know if you see this as part of this topic, but I am also very curious about the process / workflow part that steers the UI dynamics. Presumably you see this in the context of Solid-based domain-specific ontologies and as a framework to more easily snap the UI’s together that are needed here.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ll play around with some designs over the weekend :+1:

1 Like

All are welcome on the topic as far as I’m concerned.

My focus at this point is on a particular app which is not a Solid app at this point, but will be useful in the context of Solid and the wider semantic Web (see VisLab).

Having said that, if others want to look at this with Solid in mind that would be great. I’m hopeful the ideas will be applicable more broadly, and of course would love it if they can help people with their Solid apps.

So please jump in!

1 Like